Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lion of March


Some say March comes in like a Lion but the weekend at McNaughton wasn't bad. I had guessed the mud would cause problems but the temps fell far enough that the ground was frozen. So, the biggest problem was the rough footing as all the old footprints turned into frozen moonscape. That and the fact that once you ran through the creeks, your feet were pretty cold for a while.
My people and I joined up with Mike S and his boys to clear a major tree fall on the west side. Everything worked out fine as we got the job done and nobody got hurt, except me as I turned an ankle chasing a deer. I'm okay, it was just a minor sprain.
On Sunday, my people and I spent a couple of hours milling around lick creek near Heaven's Gate. This photo is of me looking across the cold water.
Conditions should be warmer next weekend so I expect lots of folks out training and enjoying the park.

2 comments:

Tony C said...

Thanks for the updates. How does the trail look this week? We're 3 weeks out and with snow here in Washington state, I'm getting nervous about the weather and trail conditions in McNaughton.

Thanks for the info. *tc

Trailrunner Courage said...

GotLegs,
We are having temps in the 50's and 60's for highs and lows in the 30's. While there is the "s" word in the forecast for one day, the temp's are not going to let any stay around. The creeks are running a bit high but they are still crossable - not dry, just they can be crossed without aid of a rope.
I hiked around last night and most of the trail was what I call "tacky fast". Just enough moisture to have traction and not enough to make mud. However, there are still some areas where the runoff from the rain is still on the trail, making for a sloppy go.
With two and a half weeks to go, it could be the best ever or just another mud pit run. I'll keep you posted on the blog but never give up on McNaughton, it can dry out faster than most realize.
Peace,
Courage's messenger